Throughout my life and current circumstances, it seems like no matter what it is that I am going through these truths show up over and over again. No matter how much I think I have mastered these truths, something will come along and teach me how to lean on God in a new way. It's pretty crazy and can be crazy frustrating at times but that's what these truths are here for:
1. God is always good. This truth can be harder to grasp sometimes when I'm going through something that doesn't seem fair or is just plain hard but it is absolute truth. No matter what is going on, good or bad, God is and will be good. How on earth do I know this? Well from past experience, He was there before I went through a tough time and was there afterwards. But most importantly, He was with me through that tough time equipping me and giving me strength and wisdom that could only come from Him. God is good, my friends.
"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13
2. God can be trusted. For me, this is one that I have to learn over and over again. I get ahead of myself and think I can handle everything on my own (HA!) and then something will come along and teach me just how much I need God and how much I need to lean on Him. Though those times where the bottom falls out are hard and aren't the most comfortable seasons in my life, they are the ones that bring me closer to God. It deepens our relationship and our intimacy grows. I have to lean on Him constantly. Every day, every hour, every minute of my life I need Him. Girlfriends (and guy friends too), lean on Him with everything. Don't wait until the bottom falls out and you feel that life is falling apart. Lean, lean, lean, lean! God can be trusted! He won't let you fall!!
"I need thee, o I need thee! Every hour I need thee! Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee."
3. I don't know everything and it kills me. I soooooooo long to know the details of my future!! Details like: Where am I going to live? Where will I work? Lord, who on earth am I going to marry?! Those details. I spend most of my prayer time asking the Lord these questions and ending it with something like "Lord, but whatever Your will is, I will do it." Really? I am really okay with that?? If the Lord were to say "Move to (just picking somewhere) Uganda and be a missionary." How okay with that would I be? Yes, I would be excited beyond belief but I would be losing a lot too. Does the work for the Lord outweigh what I would be losing? I don't know.
Or how about this one... If the Lord were to reveal to me the path of marriage by saying "Allison, I don't want you to get married because I want you to be focused on me." Would I be okay with that? Right now, NO!! I would be furious. This whole not knowing thing kills me but part of me doesn't want to know because if I'm being honest, I may not like what He has to say.
But I know that God has a plan and I know that one day God will clue me in onto what exactly that plan is. So, for now I will continue to follow His direction and His will one day at a time.
4. Jesus is the best. No seriously, He is the best. Whatever you are going through, big or small, it matters to Him. If it makes you cry, makes you hurt, makes you angry, makes you sad, makes you feel anything at all He cares and wants to right there with you the whole time. I can cry and cry about the same old things over and over and each time, Jesus will come and wrap His loving arms around me and comfort me (not literally, just to clarify). I know He's there. He's probably sitting there crying with me while reminding me about these truths and why it is sooo important for me to trust Him, cry out to Him, and lean on Him always. Jesus has your back. He cares more than we can imagine about things we think are "little things" that we just "don't want to bother God about." BOTHER HIM! He wants to hear from you!! If it makes you want to cry, CRY! If it makes you want to hit something, say "Lord, I really want hit..." He wants to know.
5. I will never be good enough for myself but always good enough for Jesus. This may sound weird but to me it makes perfect sense. I won't go into a whole lot of detail but the basics is all you need to get this one. I am hard on myself. Really hard on myself. I talk to myself in a way that I would NEVER speak to anyone else EVER. But for some reason, it's okay for me to talk to myself that way. I put a ton of pressure on myself to live up to what standards? Oh, right, mine. I'm harder on myself than my parents are. Maybe you are reading this and you are the same way I am. You beat yourself up about the small things and you expect more of yourself than others expect of you. I have good news. Even though we may not be enough for ourselves, we were worthy enough and good enough for Jesus to come and give up His life (in a pretty brutal way) just for us. He is that crazy in love with us that He would die just to know us. That is so crazy. So when I am beating on myself for whatever it is, I need to remind myself that I may have made a mistake but it is okay. Jesus still loves me and wants me even more than yesterday.
"You are altogether beautiful my darling; there is no flaw in you." Song of Solomon 4:7
6. Jesus is worth it all. During those tough times I spend time in prayer saying "Really, Lord. Really? Are you really worth all of this??" The answer is always yes. Though it may not feel like it sometimes, it is in fact yes. Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Jesus is the only person who REALLY knows what I am going through and who REALLY understands. He is the only one who truly deserves all of my heart because even though He may be the reason I am crying, He will bring me through this valley to that mountain top. He is worth it all because He gave it all. He came on this earth and died a crazy horrible death just for me to know Him intimately. Because He longs to know me on that level, I will get mad at Him, I will cry, scream and throw a fit sometimes but He will still love me with a crazy amount of grace that I honestly don't deserve. He will love me with that grace every single day and remind me everyday that He is good, He is faithful, He is sovereign, He is more and everything that I need. So I will give it all to the one who came to save me.
I could go on and on for days about Jesus and how good He is in hard times and in good times. But these are the ones that are really speaking to me right now. I hope this is a blessing to someone. My goal with this whole blog thing is to be real, raw, and flawed. I wanted this post especially to be about as real, raw, and flawed as it can get (as one can get on the internet without divulging too much information).
I am currently a teacher and life-long student of Scripture learning more about life and Jesus's marvelous love and boundless grace.